Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What would you do with 88 Minutes?


Nobody held a gun to my head to watch this movie. In fact, I was jazzed to get the advanced copy before this Friday's release, but the more I watched, the more I felt like Al Pacino in the picture above.

Here is a spoiler free plot synopsis from our friends at IMDB.com: A thriller about a college professor who, while moonlighting as a forensic psychiatrist for the FBI, receives a death threat telling him that he has only 88 minutes to live. In narrowing down possible suspects, he frantically seeks to communicate with a problem student, an ex-girlfriend, and a serial killer on death row.

That's a fairly good description while leaving out some key points. I was half expecting this movie to be akin to Colin Farrell's "Phone Booth" from 2002. You know, waiting around for an hour and a half to see if the guy would live or die. Which in the end that's pretty much how it felt.

As I was actually watching the movie though, I was constantly reminded of the last Pacino movie I saw, "Insomnia", also from 2002. The whole thing must have been filmed with a blue lens, because the whole film was completely washed out, much like what they did to make the Alaska town seemed washed out in constant daylight for "Insomnia." The difference of course being that I did actually like that film.

The overall problem that plagues this film is the actual screenplay and to point a more direct finger, the dialogue. This was clearly written by an unpolished writer or perhaps it was unable to be edited because of the writer's strike last fall. I don't know, so I won't name the offending party. But God, was it horrible. It would show up in the worst places and absolutely stop the movie's suspense for me, ripping me out of the story to wonder who in the hell thought that would be a good line or plot point to throw in there.

Overall the acting wasn't bad considering what they had to work with. Given that handicap, I'd say it was fairly good actually. Al Pacino does a good job and finds a way to make the most of his role. I do find myself wondering why he tied himself to this movie, but in the end, he finds a way to rise above the dialogue and the horrible plot devices.

Alicia Witt as the professor's assistant turns in a passable performance, but right in the worst spot possible the writer gives us a totally unnecessary, and frankly, very awkward scene. Some may argue that the scene is meant to be awkward. I get that. I'm just trying to remember the last time someone came on to me, while we were desperately looking for a murderer and fighting against the clock as I was only given 30 more minutes to live. I'm just saying. But by all means, please remove your shirt to reveal your undergarments, I'm just going to continue sifting through this possible evidence.

Leelee Sobieski. Why do you do this to yourself? Why can't you get hired on a top shelf movie? Sure, if someone offered me a part and told me Pacino was doing the film I'd jump at it too, no matter if it was a remake of Pee Wee's Big Adventure. You've got potential though! We saw it in the Joan of Arc miniseries you starred in, then again briefly in "Eyes Wide Shut." You've grown into a beautiful young women and not a bad actress; why aren't you in more A and B movies? If you do more of these films you're not going to get where I, personally would like to see you get to.

Amy Brenneman shows up as Pacino's professional assistant for his practice, and she performs well too. It's just that the things they are given to say and do are so ridiculous at times that I actually laughed out loud incredulously.

To sum up: 88 Minutes failed before the cameras even started rolling. The actors did their best and some of them managed to shine, but the cast is peppered with B and C level actors that don't help the movie rise above the written page. My advice to you: don't bother seeing this film, unless it's coming on HBO and you've already paid your monthly bill. I am giving this movie 1 1/2 serial murders out of 5 serial murders, because the overall premise of the film could have been killer, and Al Pacino adds something.

I'm just saying,

Elijah


No comments: