Tuesday, March 4, 2008

52.9%? I've seen better...



I blame it on the women. yeah that's right, the women. I must admit, even a week later I'm still baffled at the winners in the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress Categories.

In all fairness, I never did see Le Vie En Rose, so Marion Cotillard may very well have been the most deserving actress. But I can't remember the last time someone had so much press and soooo many people saying it was a lock as Julie Christie had, including this site. You know, because we pull so much weight.

As a matter of interest, in our pole on this site, 62% of respondents chose Ellen Page who had been predicted as a strong second in the media. Julie Christie had one vote and the winner Marion Cotillard garnered 0% of the vote.

Taking a look at our two other polls, the results tended to be a bit more in line. Best Picture nominee "There Will Be Blood" took the biggest percentage of votes at 37%. While the winner, "No Country for Old Men" took only 25%. Finally, Best Actor Winner Daniel Day-Lewis received 62% of your votes with a smattering of votes amongst the remaining nominees.

Another interesting point in this years results is that for the first time since 1965, all four acting honors went to Europeans.

Congratulations to "Ratatouille" for it's best animation win! I really wanted that film to win but had picked "Persepolis" because the academy is known for it's artistic picks rather than it's penchant for the "popular". The wild card I didn't figure in my actual pick was Brad Bird. That guy is very well respected in Hollywood circles as a great writer and director.

I'm not going to go through all of the picks, I'll just say that in the end I was 9 out of 17 picks with a bunch of dark horses pulling through this year.

I'll end with the following congratulations to "The Bourne Ultimatum": nominated for three Oscars and picked them all up. That film has a special place in my heart as the first film I reviewed for this site and my first 5 star pick.

This is Elijah, and I'm just saying.

No comments: