Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lars and the Real Girl. Sure, but can she hold a conversation?


How do you write a review about a man in love with a sex doll? I guess you start with the description of Lars and the Real Girl: Lars Lindstrom an awkwardly shy young man in a small northern town who finally brings home the girl of his dreams to his brother and sister-in-law's home. The only problem is that she's not real.

When I sit down and think about this movie, I want to say that it has almost has a "Rain Man" quality to it as films go. But that is a disservice. Lars is no Raymond Babbit. In fact, he is a fully functioning person. He's just suffering extreme emotional and social problems that keep him leading a lonely and solitary life until one fateful day at work leads him to make a unique decision.

Think of a family trying to make the mental and physical adjustments to a situation like this. Take a second. Now think of a small town; a town where everyone knows each other and some may have some backwards views on something like this. The upshot of this movie is that there are some heart-warming moments. And a few heart-breaking ones.

Ryan Gosling turns in another Oscar worthy performance as Lars, the man who met his visiting "friend" on the Internet and invited her to visit him. The man who eventually falls in love with a sex doll, but respects his own, and "her" religious beliefs to ask his brother and sister-in-law to use their extra room for "Bianca". This is where the whole plot takes off. I'll be honest when I say that I don't usually see Goslings films, the subject matter generally not catering to my tastes. I had to see this movie though. I just love offbeat stuff and this doesn't disappoint. Neither does Gosling. I laughed when I was supposed to and believe me when I say they give you the opportunities. I felt pain for Lars when it was called for, and there is plenty of opportunity for that as well. The thing is, Gosling as Lars helps you believe that "Bianca" is truly a real person to him.

Paul Schneider plays Gus Lindstrom, the brother that charges himself with looking after and worrying about Lars. As Gus begins freaking out we don't know if it's concern for Lars or his concern for what people will think of this development. It's hard to do anything but laugh at Gus in the beginning, but as the film goes on I started to feel a bit sad at his reactions to the adjustments the family has to make. Bottom line is, I felt that I probably would have reacted in a lot of the same manners, and that just lends credibility to the movie.

Emily Mortimer shines in this movie as the pregnant sister-in-law that really tries. Tries to immediately incorporate this predicament and make the best out of the situation. You feel the love this woman has for her family, and the lengths she will go to in order to protect everyone. You wonder how long this woman can endure, with this stress filled time and the impending birth of a child. Will she break, can she keep the family together?

Patricia Clarkson turns in a great performance as the doctor who tries to get to the bottom of this situation and convinces all involved (including the entire town) to go along with this in order to prevent a real psychological break.

This decision actually provides the meat of the story as we witness the town come together and support this outrageous situation. You'll laugh and feel incredibly uncomfortable at the same time as every member of this town interacts with Bianca. From the church services to holiday parties, this doesn't get anymore bizarre. At the same time, you love it.

Just for more spice, throw in a young blond played by Kelli Garner who, for inexplicable reason is drawn to Lars. I don't know if I really fell for this storyline, but it adds more heart and certain complications that make for good story, so I'll take it.

For the second review in a row I give Lars and the Real Girl 5 fake flower bouquets out of 5 fake flower bouquets. This movie is Rain Man meets Mayberry and I, for one, love it. It's all heart. It's a quirky drama with enough laughs to keep you going, despite the serious subject. Give Ryan Gosling an Oscar Nomination. He's earned it. Again.

Elijah

No comments: