Wednesday, August 22, 2007

SuperBad: SuperGood


It's been tough to decide where to start on this article. As you can tell from the title, I did like the movie. In fact, I laughed my ass off. If I were to offer a recommendation on if you should see it or not, the recommendation would come with qualifiers. If you are in your mid-to-late thirties, I would say catch a matinee if you are bored or wait for dvd. If you are in your late 20's or early 30's I would say to catch a matinee with your friends, reminisce, and laugh your butt off. Now, if you are in your early-to-mid 20's, see this on Friday night and pay full price. If you are in college right now, you probably know these characters or may in fact be one of them. If you are a senior female in high school, I'm undecided as to whether you should see this in order to understand the thought process of every teenage male, or if you should be locked in your bedroom until you start college.

This movie is American Pie and Fast Times at Ridgemont High mashed together and taken another step or two in the dirty direction. It's rated R for a reason kids. Every other word uttered in this movie is on the list at the Motion Picture Association of America. While I laughed the whole movie at the things that came out of these guys mouths, I was incredulous at the subjects and phrases that emerged. I thought that Knocked Up really pushed the envelope with the dialogue and birthing scene, but I was proved wrong within 10 minutes from the start of this movie.

The person I looked forward to seeing in this movie is Jonah Hill. In every movie he appears in, he plays a small or supporting role that you always remember. In Knocked Up, he's the foul-mouthed roommate. The stalker staffer in Evan Almighty. The video game programmer who finally attains his first female in Grandma's Boy. Much like Seth Rogen in Knocked Up, Jonah Hill was someone who you really couldn't see as a leading character, until it happened. And he was great. He was in your face, shouting, freaking out, having fun, being funny. Kudos to Mr. Hill.

This was my first exposure to Michael Cera. regrettably, I never fully watched an episode of Arrested Development, or his well reviewed Clark and Michael. I loved his battered Evan in this movie. These two leads played very well off of each other and his understated character shines every time he's on the screen. I would say that his subtle moments, opposite his blustery best friend are the best laughs. As these two go through the movie you can see that they truly make this movie work. I have a hard time seeing anyone else in these roles.

Let me say this about Christopher Mintz-Plasse: you will forever be known as McLovin. Be proud of it though. His roll in the movie provided the catalyst for the whole plot, but his story was almost a whole separate movie, that cleverly sailed along and only intertwined for the proper dues ex machina, which only provided more hilarity. For his first roll ever on screen or television, he was great! More McLovin, please!

Judd Apatow is being credited for this movie in the press, and I'm sure he deserves it as Executive Producer of the film. The truth is Seth Rogen started writing this movie 8 years ago and the two of them have been shopping it since then. Thankfully, Judd's recent success as director/writer/producer has allowed a lot of his projects to take shape and a lot of his choice actors to find work. Seth does play a big role in this movie and I'm sure he always saw himself in the Jonah Hill role, but thankfully he turns in a hilarious performance in his Officer Michaels character.

As a final comment on the movie, in general, if you have followed Apatow's projects from the beginning then you know that his stuff is chock full of cameo's from actors and actresses from previous stuff. I absolutely love watching to see who will turn up in what roles. For fans of The State, how about Joe Lo Truglio in a truly creepy role. How about Carla Gallo in a disgustingly pivotal role, for those fans who are still lamenting the cancellation of Undeclared 5 years ago. Look for others, they are all in there!

The death of summer movies has me longing for late October and the return of the Oscar movie season. Some of the movies I'm looking forward to, months from now are starting to release trailers and stirring interest. Period piece sequel Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Dan in Real Life, which returns Steve Carrell to that slightly depressed type of character in Little Miss Sunshine that everybody loved. American Gangster starring Russell Crowe and threatening to bring Denzel Washington's career back to the forefront. Plus, some of those Fantasy or Science-Fiction films that pop their heads up around the holidays. Big interest in seeing The Golden Compass from the book of the same name and Will Smith's entry for the fall, I Am Legend. A last man on earth scenario.

This weekend has only one movie opening that I am interested in, and it's not Mr. Bean's Holiday. Though, I know that some of you out there would like to see that review. If I can't make it to see Resurrecting the Champ starring Samuel L. Jackson, then I'll try to finally catch Stardust. Until next week, see ya!

Watching: still Undeclared the series.

On deck: Serenity collectors edition dvd. get yours on Amazon!

Reading: still the His Dark Materials Trilogy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bean is one of the most underrated actors of our generation. You should reconsider a review.

Will you be reviewing Dave Navarro's directoral debut when it comes out?

Anonymous said...

my list would include Ferris buellers Day off and Bill & Teds Excellent adventure... Phoebe Cates did make a real impression on my teen years

Elijah said...

don't forget weird science!